Saturday, December 3, 2011

3/december - appreciation and the bomb (thirty days of thankful - day 04 and 05)

I literally always cringe when I see someone take the first straw at McDonald's. It's wrong. It's unhygienic. It's full of germs. Wait - let me change that. The first TWO straws. Both of them have potentially been touched by a stranger's hand who could have been touching anything before that, which also could have been touched by lots of disgusting things! I'm not even a 'clean freak' so I can't even begin to imagine how those people feel. I have a solution: perhaps I should carry my own straws. But really, people, is it necessary to take the first straw? I beg of you. Just bypass it.

Thirty Days of Thankful Day 04 - I am thankful for the schooling system in Australia

All school seems to equal is stress, a load of crap teachers, stupid assignments which in no way relate to real-life situations and a social life. Despite all of that though, when it comes down to it, we are very lucky to have such a good schooling system where I live. In some countries, children wish for nothing more than to go school and get a good education - and when they are funded to go to school, they make the most of every day. We take little things - like reading and writing - for granted. Yes, it's a basic and a necessity but it's those things that other countries fail to provide for their citizens. Next year I will be in my first senior year and I'm terrified that I won't do well. But the fact still remains that there are hundreds apon thousands of children everywhere who will never even get the chance to graduate from school, simply because they are unable to pay for school. In China alone there are close to 2 million children missing out on school.
China has nearly 20 million migrant children under 18 who should receive compulsory education. But the survey found 9.3 percent of them, or about 1.86 million, have to drop out of school.

Thirty Days of Thankful Day 05 - I am thankful for religion

In primary school, everybody was taught Christianity in religion class and there was the option of leaving class with parental permission (which quite a few students did, and they did other activities). Religion was never forced apon us. In my town alone, off the top of my head I can count 5 different churches that I know of. There are so many different religions being offered to us, it is insane - but not in a bad way. We have so many choices. We will always have the option, and it is not and will probably never be compulsory to go to church. I am grateful that it is widely accepted to follow religion and although there are always people who will be against it, majority of people are open-minded towards it.

Tonight at work (I work at a pizza place) I decided that trying to make the pizza slices all the same sizes is pointless. Mainly because I am bad at cutting pizza, but I also realised that whenever I have a pizza, I go for the biggest pieces. People can't have the biggest piece if there is no biggest piece. Unevenly cut pizzas win.

4 comments:

  1. 2 million!!! That's the size of a country!
    Oh my. I don't get the straws thing...here there's just a big pot of straws and you take the color you like the most...:D

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 100% agree with the straws. And being someone who works at maccas.. *shudder* the scruby people who go in there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! nina, you have no idea how disgusting that is! i cannot stand the first straw, but if they're all in together like that then eeeewwwww. we have like, straw dispensers :P
    oh caitlin, i'm glad you understand <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, no, every straw is wrapped in paper, so when you take a straw you have to unwrap it first. Although that's not really ecologic...

    ReplyDelete